Revision for “William Everett’s Tavern” created on April 28, 2019 @ 10:45:02
William Everett's Tavern
Notes on William Everett William Everett was one of the earliest settlers in the upper parish of Kittery. He built his house here and appeared on court records in 1640. He was licensed to keep an Ordinary (Tavern and Inn) in 1649. He apparently was a sea captain and was lost at sea. His house in Kittery (now Eliot), must have been spacious, for all the inhabitants of Kittery were called here 15 Nov. 1652 to hear Simon Bradstreet and others tell why they should come under the jurisdiction of Massachusetts. Then and there, 41 signed the acknowledgement by signature, the submission of Maine to Massachusetts. It is interesting to read the history of Watts Fort (alias Josselyn’s Point) opposite the home of Wm. Everett towards the water as the old records tell us that in 1641, Watts Fort which is now entirely washed away was opposite the Old Parish Burying Ground. Other notes remind us that the marsh furnished tall salt water grass which they cut and fed to their cattle. It was written that “Josselyn’s Point” was lined with stately elm trees. The old cellar and warehouse was located in this area, also the lane to the Old Ferry Landing that was operated by Thomas Trickey, later by his son, Zachariah Trickey and the latter by John Knight, alias Chevalier, who lived at Bloody Point on the opposite of Newington Shore William Leighton purchased the Everett Estate in 1656, the same year he married Katherine Frost, the daughter of Nicholas Frost. The old building was taken down by John Leighton, son of William, and he built a new home on the same spot, in which he held the “Court of General Sessions”, town and other meetings. This house stood until 1851, when it was taken down. In this area at the corner of now Fore Road and Old Road, stood the Parson Rogers Meeting House, built in 1717. This was the center of the 2nd Parish of Kittery. There is much more of this history on this area that may be obtained from “Old Eliot”, by Dr. John L.M. Willis and “Old Kittery and her Families” by Stackpole.