The Hanscom Shipyard
On the river bank at the “Greenacre” site today, was the Hanscom shipyard where many staunch ships were built from 1847 to 1855. The Historical marker is now located in front of the old Roger’s house to the left side of the new driveway of the Greenacre Hotel on the Main Street side.
The marker reads as follows:
On the river bank at Greenacre was the Hanscom shipyard where many staunch ships were built from 1847 to 1855.
Upon the death of Gov. Hill in 1912, Mrs. Hill donated 8 historical markers to the town of Eliot, and this was one of them.
John Hanscom was the first to build ships here in about 1828. They made their own spikes and bolts for the shipbuilding.
William Leighton Hanscom built ships here in 1845. He built a large blacksmith shop, a joiners shop, and a large boarding house.
In 1847, he built the ship, “Elizabeth Hamilton.” He also built the “Mary M. Wood” and in 1849, he sailed to California on it. Among the passengers was Dr. Lemuel M. Willis, the father of Dr. John L.M. Willis. He was the physician of the ship during the voyage.
In 1850, William built a steam boat called the “Lot Whitcomb” in Portland, Oregon. He worked in other shipbuilding areas and died in 1881 and was buried on Mt. Auburn, Massachusetts.
Isaiah Hanscom designed the clipper ship “Nightingale” and Capt. Samuel Hanscom built it in 1850/51. He also built other schooners here that were world famous.