Wikis > Leighton Homestead
The original home (pictured above left) on this site was built by William Leighton around 1750. It was taken down in 1895 and replaced by the current home in the same location. William’s grandson, Andrew P. Leighton (1793-1882) (pictured below), started Eliot’s first public library here in 1823. He served as a district Representative and was the first Free Soil Senator in the Maine Legislature.